Fugatto


Go to content

Pontevico

Informations > Instruments

The Great Mascioni Organ of Pontevico (Brescia - Italy)

The installation of the first organ in the church and parish of Pontevico Abbey dates back to 1608: it is a valuable instrument built by the family Antegnati of Brescia. Later there was a major achievement in 1839 by the Serassi of Bergamo who built a single keyboard organ with 1752 pipes and 48 stops. In 1886 with the expansion of the church designed by Mons. Cremonesini was added a second keyboard (echo effect) with the integration of brassband stops. In the first decades of 1900 the organ underwent a radical transformation following the principles of liturgical italian Cecilianisme. Destroyed by a terrible fire in 1959, it is only thanks to a generous bequest that was possible, after 50 years, to build a new pipe organ. The design and construction were awarded to Vincenzo Mascioni from Varese. The instrument consists of three 61-note keyboard with 32-note pedals, 2411 pipes and 43 stops. On the right side houses the great and the positive that operate mechanically; Recitative, positioned on the opposite side, operates electrically on a third keyboard. The pedal is housed in two choirs with electrical transmission. It 's a very special organ, of ambivalent nature: traditional elements are involved in a innovative and modern conception of details. It allows the execution of the whole organ repertoire with particular reference to late nineteenth-century symphonic music. It is an instrument to not classify with the usual historicist criteria. The presence and combination of particular sounds are originally achieving of new expressive design, linked to our time.

FUG 029 - FUG 034


Home page/Basket | Products | How to order | Video samples | Distributors | Informations | Contacts | Site Map


Back to content | Back to main menu